In the busy lives we lead today, change is inevitable.
Our lives are constantly changing, be it in the workplace, our relationships or our circumstances. Over the course of a lifetime a person can expect to experience a significant amount of change, either positive or negative.
Adjusting to change can be difficult, as even positive life transitions such as marriage, new babies or new jobs come with their own unique stressors and can cause anxiety.
Negative life transitions such as retrenchment, the loss of a loved one or divorce are very challenging as they force us to let go of the familiar and face the future with a feeling of vulnerability and even fear.
Whatever the circumstances, periods of change are difficult and present us with new problems which are often accompanied by uncomfortable emotions.
How can counselling help?
- Understand the meaning of the change in your life and the emotions you are experiencing
- Process the difficult feelings and possible losses associated with a life transition
- Explore how the change may affect your relationship with others
- Identify your strengths and resources to overcome the challenges you face
- Discover a new and improved sense of self as you come to accept the change and can move forward confidently in a new direction.